What is ISO 14001?
Read “Who is ISO” for more information…
- Read about the entire ISO 14000 Family of Standards
- Read What is an EMS?
ISO 14001:2015 is the document which defines the requirements for the ISO 14000 EMS and provides guidance for its use.
ISO 14001:2015 is a standard for anEnvironmental Management System (EMS), which requires your organization to:
- Determine your organization’s impact on the environment and relevant regulations to the operations of the business.
- Create a plan to control your processes to minimize the environmental impact.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the system at meeting objectives as well as legal and other.
- Continually analyze the results and improve your systems.
Basics of ISO 14001
Other helpful topics:
In the US, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) writes environmental laws that organizations must follow. Although ISO 14001 is strictly voluntary, it provides the framework to evaluate and manage an organizations’ environmental impact and is the easiest way to comply.
Fundamentally, it is everyone’s job to protect the environment by preventing pollution and continually improving the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the earth we inhabit. Organizations are becoming increasingly concerned in achieving sound environmental performance, often while delivering cost savings and demonstrating that you are a “Good Corporate Citizen”.
In essence ISO 14001:2015 will:
- Protect the environment by preventing pollution
- Improve air and water
- Prevent the earth from soil erosion or other environmental problems
ISO 14001 is also beneficial for your business it helps:
- To reduce accidents in an organization
- To get client trust and satisfaction by substantiating to ISO 14000 standard
- To become good citizens by achieving best environmental performance
- To reduce legal responsibility and risk contact by making sure with safe and effective environmental management system
- To get competitive benefit by using environmental improvements to increase marketing efforts
- To reduce costs by avoiding too much environmental waste
Many organizations decide to Implement ISO 14001 and obtain registration because it assures customers, shareholders, suppliers, regulators and the community at large that the company has a good Environmental Management System (EMS) in place. An organization with an effective EMS will typically meet customer expectations and comply with regulations better than an organization that does not have an effective EMS. Many organizations require their suppliers to have ISO 14001 Registration.
- ISO/IEC 17050– Conformity assessment- suppliers declaration of conformity requirements
- Review article “Benefits of ISO 14001” to learn more…
- Download ISO’s “ISO 14001 for Small Business” brochure
- ISO 14001 Benefits & Costs can help you evaluate the advantage to your organization.
- Intro to ISO 14001 gives more information help ISO 14001
- Watch ISO’s Movie: ISO 14001: The World’s Environmental Standard: