What is ISO 14001?
ISO is The International Organization of Standardization. ISO is a global organization that builds up many different kinds of standards. ISO 14000 is an ISO standard which is a series of documents for the implementation of an environmental management system (EMS) in the organization. ISO 14001 is the document which states the requirements for the EMS and provides the way to use it in the organizations.
Information about environmental management system
An EMS provides a systematic way for managing the environmental impacts in the organizations. The goal of ISO 14001 to control environmental impact of the organization’s actions and continually increase the environmental performance as measured against objectives.
Relationship between ISO 14001 EMS relate to ISO 9001 QMS
ISO 9001 is a Quality Management System (QMS) which in the same way provides organizations a systematic approach for meeting customer requirements i.e. requirements of consistent quality. They are similar in format, but the EMS is an environmental management system and a QMS is a Quality Management System. Both ask you to state objectives,
Why an organization seeks ISO 14001 certification?
Because of some elementary reasons like:
- Protect the environment by preventing pollution
- Improving the air and water
- Prevent the earth from soil erosion or other environmental problems
And some business reasons like:
- To reduce accidents in an organization
- To get client trust and satisfaction by substantiating to ISO 14000 standard
- To become good citizens by achieving best environmental performance
- To reduce legal responsibility and risk contact by making sure with safe and effective environmental management system
- To get competitive benefit by using environmental improvements to increase marketing efforts
- To reduce costs by avoiding too much environmental waste
Introduction to ISO 14001 2004
ISO 14001 2004 is the updated version of ISO 14000 standard This has already been implemented in over 140 countries in the world. ISO 14001 2004 is a very successful standard not only because it specifies the essential requirements for an environmental management system but it can also be used in every type of organization where an environment has strong influence. Implementing ISO 14001 2004 standard helps organization in reducing the environmental pollution, reducing in cost of waste management and saves the consumption of energy and show its compliance to regulations
How 14000store.com help organizations in implementing an ISO 14001 environmental management system?