Read "Who is ISO" for more information...
ISO 14001:2004 is the document which defines the requirements for the ISO 14000 EMS and provides guidance for its use.
ISO 14001:2015 is a standard for an Environmental Management System (EMS), which requires your organization to:
- Determine your organization's impact on the environment and relevant regulations to the operations of the business.
- Create a plan to control your processes to minimize the environmental impact.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the system at meeting objectives as well as legal and other.
- Continually analyze the results and improve your systems.
ISO 14001:2015/Cor 1:2009, updates the following items in ISO 14001:2015
- Page iii, Table of contents, In the penultimate line, replace "Correspondence between ISO 14001:2001 and ISO 9001:2000" with "Correspondence between ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 9001:2008"
- Page v, Introduction, sixth paragraph, last line, replace "ISO 9001:2000" with "ISO 9001:2008".
Basics of ISO 14001
Other helpful topics:
In the US, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) writes environmental laws that organizations must follow. Although ISO 14001 is strictly voluntary, it provides the framework to evaluate and manage an organizations' environmental impact and is the easiest way to comply.
Fundamentally, it is everyone's job to protect the environment by preventing pollution and continually improving the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the earth we inhabit. Organizations are becoming increasingly concerned in achieving sound environmental performance, often while delivering cost savings and demonstrating that you are a "Good Corporate Citizen".
Many organizations decide to Implement ISO 14001 and obtain registration because it assures customers, shareholders, suppliers, regulators and the community at large that the company has a good Environmental Management System (EMS) in place. An organization with an effective EMS will typically meet customer expectations and comply with regulations better than an organization that does not have an effective EMS. Many organizations require their suppliers to have ISO 14001 Registration.