What is ISO 14001:2015?
ISO 14001 Certification has many advantages and we recommend that companies become certified through third party certification bodies (CB’s, or Registrars) like ISO 9001, etc.
This is a business decision. But there are several market, financial and trade advantages realized with certification. It may change opinions of customers, insurers, and non-certification may limit trade.
Anyone can use ISO 14001:2004 to establish, implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system. But it has more impact to other stakeholders (customers, vendors, regulatory agencies) if you confirm that you are effectively using your EMS.
There are different types of conformance:
- Internal efforts to create an EMS that meets ISO 14000 (self regulated)
- Self-declaration of conformance
- Third party audits from interested stakeholders
- Seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization
- Third party verified registration of its ISO 14001 EMS by an external organization.
- Read: Selecting a Registrar
Self-declaration is an option unique to this standard, and thus organizations can simply use ISO 14000 as a guideline. Although entities can self declare conformance to ISO 14000, this only means that they conform to a prescribed system, not to prescribed environmental technologies, pollution levels, or safety.
Keep in mind that ISO 14000 does not replace existing environmental regulation but certified companies are typically more quickly alerted to environmental issues.