ISO 14001 Certification
- ISO 14000 Certified is technically incorrect as ISO 14000 does not have requirements.
- ISO 14001 Certified means an organization has met the requirements in ISO 14001-
which defines an ISO 14000 Environmental Management System (EMS).
ISO 14001:2004 certification requires an understanding of the ISO 14000 standards as well as some basics on Environmental Management Systems. Here is the information you need for ISO 14001:
- What is ISO 14000? A family of Standards which includes ISO 14001:2004.
- What is ISO 14001? An international Environmental Management System standard.
- Requirements of ISO 14001 Clause by Clause review of the requirements
- Steps to ISO 14001 Certification – This simple 8-Step process will get you there.
- What is an Environmental Management System (EMS)? Understand the basis of an EMS
- How do I select a Registrar to certify our organization?
- What are the Benefits of ISO 14001 Certification?
ISO 14001 Presentation Materials review the complete standard with your organization.
ISO 14001 Certification, ISO 14001 Registration and Accreditation
ISO 14001 Certification refers to a written assurance (the certificate) by an independent external body (Certification Body=CB=Registrar) that it has audited your environmental management system and verified that it meets the ISO 14001 requirements.
ISO 14001 Registration means that the auditing body recorded the certification in its client register. Learn aboutselecting an ISO registrar
So, the organization’s management system has been both certified and registered.
Therefore, in the context of ISO 14001 both are acceptable and used interchangeably:
- “ISO 14001 Certification” is the term most widely used worldwide
- “ISO 14001 Registration” is often preferred in North America
On the contrary, “ISO 14001 Accreditation” is not an acceptable alternative for certification or registration, because it means something different. They should beIAF approved.
ISO 14001 accreditation refers to the formal recognition by a specialized body – an accreditation body like the IAF – that a certification body is competent to carry out ISO 14001 certification.
Basically accreditation is certification of the certification body. Who can grant certification?
- See ISO/IEC 17000:2004, Conformity assessment – Vocabulary and general principles.