Steps to ISO 14001 Certification
- Learn about the ISO 14001 Standard
- Perform an ISO 14001 Initial Environmental Review & Gap Analysis
- Plan your ISO 14000 project
- Train your organization on ISO 14001
- Document your ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
- Implement your EMS and conduct business
- Audit your EMS
- Registration Audit Options
Use our All-in-One Documentation & Training Package and implement your system yourself. It includes what you need in order to save time and money and be successful.
You will need to understand ISO 14001 (and ISO 9001 if you are combining), to help you understand what you need to do in your company to meet the requirements of the standard.
2. Perform Initial Environmental Review & Gap Analysis
Use the Gap Analysis Checklist to determine where you need to change your existing EMS.
Create a Project Plan to determine your tasks, timeline and resources.
- Consider a Step-by-Step Workbook to guide you
4. Educate Your Organization
All of your employees will need to be trained to work with the ISO 14001 EMS System.
- PowerPoint Presentation & Training Materials
5. Design & Document
and document your ISO 14001 Environmental Manual and Procedures. The biggest
portion of the project is looking at your current processes, and redesigning
them to address all of the requirements of the standard. Once you
have modified or developed processes to meet the standard, you will
need to control those processes. Documenting the processes as EMS
System procedures is part of this control.
6. Use & Improve Your EMS
Once your system is developed
and documented, employees will follow the procedures, collect records
and make improvements to the system. For approximately three months
or more, your organization will run the EMS, collecting records.
7. Audit the EMS Performance
and improve your EMS - Is it working? You
will conduct internal audits to see how your system is working and
to improve it. This prepares you for an Audit by a Registrar.
8. Achieve Registration
To get your Registration, typically you will select a Registrar and they will come and perform your registration audit, and then regular surveillance audits. During these audits, the Auditor will be looking at your EMS to make sure that it meets the requirements of the standard. If they find that there are pieces of your EMS that do not meet the requirements, they will document a "Nonconformance". Your registration will be dependant on your correcting any nonconformances that are found.
There are three types of conformance:
- Internal efforts to create an EMS that meets ISO 14000
- Self-declaration of conformance
- Third party verified registration
our All-in-One Documentation & Training Package and implement
yourself. It includes what you need in order to save
time and money and be successful.